Monday, February 10, 2014

Learning 2.0 - Social Bookmarking with Technorati (Thing 11)

When looking over Technorati's blog directory, one of the categories that I felt was noticeably absent was "Education."  I know education is a bit of a specialized field, but it seems as though there are quite a few blogs out there dedicated to sharing teaching ideas.  I'm sure it's tucked away under the umbrella of another category, but I thought it would be a bit more visible.

I tried to do searches for two different topics (school librarian and board games) and came up with very different results when searching by blog and blog postings. The only blog on the first results page for my school librarian search with an authority rating above "1" didn't seem to actually have anything to do with school librarians.  When I searched by post, I found articles about a December school shooting involving a school librarian, but there was nothing else of interest on the first two pages of results.  My search for board games was also relatively fruitless.  I know of a few good blogs on this topic, and none of them showed up in the first few pages of results.  There were also a lot of irrelevant results for video games.  When searching by post, I also didn't come up with a lot of useful results.

Overall, I was kind of disappointed with Technorati.  It didn't seem like it necessarily pulled up a lot of relevant results, and it was a bit frustrating to go back and try to sift through everything.  It also felt like the site was down a lot.   I tried to get onto Technorati five times as I was completing this assignment was only able to access the site two of those times.

No comments:

Post a Comment