Monday, February 10, 2014

Learning 2.0 - RSS Feeds and Newsreaders (Things 13 & 14)

Mighty Little Librarian - This looked like a pretty great site for ideas.   Tiff Whitehead is the school librarian at Central Middle School in Louisiana. In my browsing of this blog, I found quite a few ideas for engaging readers and promoting literacy that would be fun.  Whitehead shared ideas for a "Book Crush" display that would be fun in February, a March Madness bracket based on the books that have been checked out the most so far during the school year, and reading challenges that sound like they'd pull in a lot of readers.  She also has a lot of Web 2.0 tool tutorials and seems to be very involved in a lot of professional development activities and presentations.  I also liked that she seems pretty open about sharing her ideas and even files she has created for lessons and projects. 


Librarians on the Fly - This blog was recommended by one of the librarians I visited with during fall semester.  Like The Mighty Little Librarian, it has a lot of ideas for implementing Web 2.0 technologies into the library setting.  One of the ideas I particularly liked was about mounting iPads around the library for students to use for catalog browsing.  These librarians suggested this as a way to keep the other library computers open for student research, and I thought it would also be a nice to have the ability to search for books from different locations.  Sometimes I think it's hard for kids to go back and forth and back and forth from the shelves to the computer banks.

No comments:

Post a Comment