Monday, February 10, 2014

Learning 2.0 - Social Bookmarking with Diigo (Thing 10)

Diigo seems like a pretty cool social bookmarking site.  I think I'm most excited about trying it with students as a research tool.  With an educator upgrade, you can create accounts for your students and add them to groups.  I think this would be a great tool for students to use when researching because they can collect and share articles with others in their group as well as any mark-ups (highlighting, sticky notes) they make.  As I understand it, you can also comment on the notes that others have made.  I think this could be a great time saver for students who are working on group projects, but it would also be great for students who are working independently on projects.

This would also be a neat site to recommend to classroom teachers to use with their students for follow-up readings in content areas.  I think the mark-up capabilities of Diigo can offer a fresh take on reading an article and then writing a summary or response.  Instead, teachers could assign the reading and ask students to come prepared with their highlighted text and comments or questions written down on sticky notes.  I've often questioned the relevance of writing short summaries or responses to prove I've completed a reading.  If someone really wanted proof that I've read something, all they'd need to do is look at my marked up text! :)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Here is a link to some videos about using Diigo in the classroom as well as a nice article with ideas and handy tips for using the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment