Sunday, April 20, 2014

Learning 2.0 Summary (Thing 20)

Well, I have to say that I've really enjoyed the Learning 2.0 assignments. Many of the technologies we've explored have been fairly (or entirely) new to me, and it's been fun becoming more tech savvy! I quite enjoy learning new technology skills, but it seems I never carve out time to learn them on my own. It's nice to have been "forced" to play because I think many of them will be extremely helpful tools in a library and to pass along to teachers to use in their classrooms. I've had quite a few experiences this year that have demonstrated the important role technology plays in our students' lives and the levels of engagement and enjoyment kids get from technology-driven lessons. This new-found understanding has required a bit of a shift in thinking for me. I've tried to incorporate more technology into my lessons over the last few years, but I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that I've barely scratched the surface in my attempts. Kids today are capable of so much if given the opportunity and the framework to be successful.

As far as introducing these technologies to teachers, I think it would be fun to have an optional teacher training on a different skill or program every month. Once or twice a year, I would also have a celebration for teachers to share how they have incorporated the skills into their class. I'm thinking I'd like to make this an informal gathering with teachers bringing in samples of student projects that are placed around the library's tables for people to peruse as they enjoy some treats and chat. It would also be neat to document students' learning throughout the school year by talking with the kids about their process and product and their feelings about using technology skills in class. I think a short video featuring the students and their thoughts would be a great way to open our technology celebration and a fantastic way to show teachers the positive impact their lessons have had on students and hopefully encourage them to do even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment